Artist Statement

My photographic practice is driven by moments of overlap between three artistic considerations: form, function, and aesthetics. These overlaps are present in both conceptual and visual capacities in my images. When I am conducting field research, I often find myself objectively captivated by moments where I observe small details that demonstrate at least one of the three artistic considerations. The ones that draw me in the most can be described by Wrights thought on form versus function where, “form and function should be one”.

The next stage in my process involves isolating and curating the details within my images. During this, I frequently find myself delighted by the discovery that the form I was originally capturing is further enhanced by particulars of light. With each image, I begin by removing the original colour and by a duotone colouring process, I select either a tonal black and white range or hues for the image. Through my research, I have also observed that certain hues reveal the presence of luminosity better than others, which is always image dependent.